THE IMMIGRANT EXPERIENCE
NOTE: You will probably NOT be able to get the answers to
all these questions - AND THAT'S OK! Don't worry - just get as
much detailed information as you can from the person you interview.
Name of Person Interviewed: ________________________________________________
Relationship to You: ______________________________________________________
- What country did your family come from?
- Do you know what city or town it was?
- Why did your family decide to leave the "old country" and come to America?
What was it like there for the family?
- When did they come to America?
- What was your family hoping to do in America?
- Did they have a specific plan, or maybe some relatives already here?
- Did they bring anything with them? (maybe your family still has
some souvenir from the "old country".)
- What was the trip to America like?
- How long did it take?
- What ship were you on?
- What were the conditions like?
- What happened at Ellis Island?
- Were there any problems getting through the medical tests?
- Did your family get a new name?
- Where did your family settle after they successfully passed through Ellis
- What was it like for your family as they settled into their new home? Was
it all they hoped it would be?
- Where did you live?
- Did you live near other people from their "old country"?
- Was it easy or hard to feel like an American?
- What do you think is the most important contribution your "old country"
has made to American culture?