In order to successfully understand the message of an editorial cartoon,
first you have to look at it carefully. Scan slowly from left to right, as if
you were reading. The cartoonist leaves lots of clues.
- Are there any real people in the cartoon? Who is portrayed in the cartoon?
- Are there symbols in the cartoon? What are they and what do they
- Are there any words (spoken or written) that help the reader understand
- What is the event or issue that inspired the cartoon?
- What is the cartoonist's opinion about the topic portrayed in the cartoon?
Return to Social